Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wilco at Elliott Hall

[my apologies for this very late post; I just got around to finishing it]


Being at the stage/second row for the entire concert was absolutely amazing.

Even from the very beginning, the audience could tell that Jeff Tweedy wasn't feeling it. Wilco's usual energy and enthusiasm as personified in Tweedy seemed strangely lacking. When somebody in the front row yelled out "How are you?" he replied, "None of your business" and closed with a weak smile. The show was on Wednesday October 4 and Tweedy's mother passed away only five days earlier on Friday. At one point, he paused to say that he "didn't want to be here" which was both understandable as well as an insult to the audience.

The mood of the entire show was pretty laid back and the usual amount of rocking was less prevalent. They played a great number of oldies and showcased a good amount of the new material on their upcoming album. Seeing as how A Ghost is Born is my favorite Wilco album, I was especially entertained when they played "Hummingbird." Although on the set list, the eventual overlook of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" was a bit disappointing. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" went well. The emotion displayed was phenomenal.

Seeing somebody of Nels Cline's age rock the guitar was pretty impressive. Drummer Ken Coomer gave it his all and it was good. Best of luck to those guys.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Foresman said...

Hey, I saw you at the show! Glad you dug it.

Although some of my favorite songs are from YHF, I still think Summerteeth is my fave Wilco album.

"Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm..."

2:06 PM  
Blogger orangepulpfilms said...

Haha did you really? where? You should have come up and said hi... I like A Ghost is Born the best.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Josette said...

Why did I decide to take a nap instead of go to this show? Oh yeah, I was exhausted! Dammit, the same thing happened with John Mayer!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Josette said...

Also, CVN is an excellent student organization and I highly recommend it to anyone.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home