Sunday, August 13, 2006

Only one week... before it hits the fan!

So, I just got back from a kick-ass summer internship at Whirlpool Corp this summer, and I’ve only got a week to get prepared for school. I am taking a job this fall teaching at St Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Indiana. I'll be teaching Photography and Graphic Design as one of two part-time adjunct instructors in the Art program there. As such, I am moving to 3/4 time and taking 9 credit hours.

What I’d like to comment on is what I think is a bullshit policy at Purdue concerning going to school less than 12 credit hours. You see, in order to teach this semester, I decided to limit the classes I'm taking to 9 credit hours. Well, here’s the rub: if you only go 3/4 time, financial aid only gives you about 3/4 of what you would normally get going full-time (which is 12 credit hours). However, Purdue is going to charge me full-time fees. In what fucking world does that make sense? La-La-Land? No, apparently this is fairly common at college campuses across the nation.

Here’s a little numerical analysis (I am and engineering major, after all...): Based on a $245.40 per credit hour charge for part-time students, 9 credit hours should total $2,208.60. However, anyone taking more than 8 credit hours is charged $3,423.00 (this is all in-state tuition). That's a differece of about $1,200. I know most people just have that falling out of their back pockets, but I sure don't. I guess the message is if you don't fit our narrow definition of what a “full-time” student is, you can kiss our ass. Which, frankly, pisses me off.

I have half a mind to make an appointment with Jischke and give him my 2¢ worth.

6 Comments:

Blogger Josette said...

I forgot you were teaching! Oh boy, I better reserve two tables at the Bistro. Maybe I can get the entire patio?

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm GLAD to see you signed up and posted!! Thanks!

That rule is a bunch of BS! Any chance you can sign up for a distance course that you at least wouldn't have to have done for a year so the 3 hours can help you out this semester with the aid?? I have to do that next summer so I can get the full package to pay for my study abroad.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Chris Foresman said...

ooooh... Good suggestion. Can you recommmend any courses? I've only got a week to get it figured out.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a list that is mostly up to date, as far as I can tell.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Chris Foresman said...

I was thinking more along the lines of "Can you recommend something easy to pad my schedule with that I can get a relatively easy A in." Not that I mind working for a good grade, just that my time is limited since I'll be teaching and doing some part time work for Whirlpool Corp from home.

But that's a good link. Thanks.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha- like some kind of PE type elective??? Or maybe AgECON 217?? I don't really know which classes are "easy" since I'm in Elementary Ed and they are almsot all easy! (Math 137,138 and 139 were the most ridiculous classes on campus)

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home