Monday, August 21, 2006

Federal SMART Grant

There is a new grant beginning this year for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) majors called the SMART (Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent) Grant. It’s good for up to US$2,000 per semester, and the requirements are basically 3rd or 4th year undergrad with a 3.0 or higher that qualifies for a Pell Grant and is taking at least 12 credit hours.

Turns out, though, that the law that created the grant also states that if you have 120 or more credit hours then you no longer qualify. Which is total bullshit, since you need more than 120 credit hours to graduate in engineering. I don't know what other science majors require, but I’m willing to bet it’s more than 120. I know I’ll be writing to Senator Bayh to address this issue, because a lot of people are going to get cut off and not know why. For me, I’ve already got 108 credit hours, and I’m taking 12 this semster, so suddenly that two large is gonna disappear in the Spring.

WTF?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home