Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ship of Fools Callout!

Hello Boilers! Sometimes I hear people saying that there's not much to do on campus besides get drunk and party. If that's you, I have a suggestion of something to do. If that's not you, none of the good parties start before 9 anyway!

This Friday, everyone's welcome at a free show by the Purdue Improv Club. You might also know the performing members of this group as the Ship of Fools! I'd like to invite you- and anyone- to come check out the SoF this Friday at their callout. Like almost every Friday, they're meeting in BRNG 2280 from 7-9pm.

For those of you who don't know much about the Ship, let me explain. The Ship of Fools performs improv comedy, much like the show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, at various events on the Purdue campus and around the state. 'Improv' just means that SoF's short-form comedy is all made up on the spot. Most of the time, the emcee of the night will explain a game and ask for audience suggestions to supplement the scene (this way you can be sure they haven't practiced ahead of time!). The performers will then try to play the game, often using guessing skills, mime, and gibberish... and, of course, they'll try to make you laugh, too.

So, if you come to the improv club callout on Friday, what can you expect? The Ship of Fools will start the evening off with a performance of some sample games to show you what improv is all about. Afterwards, the audience will be invited to participate in some games with the Fools. Don't worry-- if you don't want to come up and try a game, no one will force you to. I've been going to the Ship of Fools meetings regularly for over a year, and I almost always just sit in the audience. If you'd like to try a little improv, the opportunity is there-- but don't let fear of performing scare you off from a free improv show! I can't promise anything, but I'm almost certain that there's no way you can sit through a show and not laugh at least once. :)

One last thing I feel compelled to add is that I am a little biased writing this. I love the Ship of Fools- most of them are my close friends, and one of them is my boyfriend. This doesn't at all change the fact that I think the SoF is hilarious, and I know that even if I didn't have such a close connection to the group, I'd still recommend them. Anyway, I know the group really well, so if you have any questions at all, feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to get back to you!

To sum things up:
-Purdue Improv Club/Ship of Fools Callout
-Friday, January 19 from 7-9
-Beering Hall (BRNG) Room 2280
-Free show, and an opportunity to try some improv yourself (but only if you'd like)!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would *love* to go check it out but i work on Friday nights. my apologies :(

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so wanted to go but wasn't able to! I have to get to one of those meetings- I LOVE improv so much!!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home