Friday, August 25, 2006

$emester Registration

As of Monday, I was registered for a big fatty 0 credit hours. Goose-egg style. Zero.

You can imagine my surprise, on my eighteenth -- and yes, I have counted, semesters and summers included -- trip through course registration, that I inexplicably wound up with zero freakin' credit hours for the Fall 06 semester. Whoops.

I'm finishing my MA this semester, hopefully, and for the first time, I had no sit-down-shut-up-and-listen classes: just research hours for me. So, this was totally not Purdue's fault, and I don't want to insinuate that. It was totally ineptitude that led me to forget that I hadn't signed up for classes.

I didn't realize until today that it was a big deal that I received absolutely no notification that I had zero credit hours. Not an automated email or phone call; not a personal email or phone call. Absolutely nothing from the University regarding my Zero Credit Hour Semester.

What totally astonished me today, though, was that desipte receiving zero calls or emails for having no classes scheduled, for the fourth time today I received a phone call or email about how I hadn't paid my goddamn fees, and boy did they want to make sure they got their goddamn fees. Oh!, the voicemail told me, we will bend over backwards and jiggle here in Hovde Hall to get you to bring your personal check, cashier's check, or first-born son in order to get your fees settled up for the semester!! There will be clowns and balloons for the little tykes who we aren't sacrificing on the marble altar of the Bursar's Office this Glorious Day!

It is just the teensy bit suspicious that I received no warnings as to my total lack of credit hours, but my God did they want to fix that relatively minor oversight of paying fees on time just as frickin' soon as I realized on my own that there was a MAJOR oversight of, you know, not having any goddamn classes!

The moral of the story is 1) go ahead and be a little cynical; you'll be better off for it in the long run, and 2) for Purdue Pete's sake, don't be a dumb-ass like me -- register for your classes on time :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate laughing at someone else's misfortune (well, sometimes) but the imagery of Hovde is too much... .

7:41 PM  
Blogger Josette said...

I have a direct OC3 link from SSINFO to my brain for just this reason.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home